Definition of afternote
1 : a note that appears after the main body of a text … made The Dead Alive a particularly fascinating read in 1874 because, as Collins wrote in an afternote, he based the novel on a real-life murder case …— Tom McNamee, Chicago Sun-Times, 1 Jan. 2006
2 : a flavor of a food or drink that is sensed in the mouth after a more immediate or dominant flavor has receded … while the ale's stronger, fruitier flavors masked the shellfish, the malt liquor provided only a slightly metallic afternote, letting through more of the essence of the mussels. — Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 14 June 2001
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game