Definition of abyssal zone
: the biogeographic realm consisting of the deep sea, lacking higher plant life because of the absence of light, and occupied chiefly by carnivorous animals that are often blind or have special luminous organs and are structurally adapted to withstand the great pressures of this level
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?