Definition of abbreviated
1 : made shorter or briefer an abbreviated word an abbreviated session an abbreviated version of the story
2 : relatively short or small : shorter or smaller than is normal or conventional Their hourglass shape (a new trend this season even in alpine skis), metal edges, and abbreviated size make them easier to handle than traditional skis.— Jena MacPherson … an abbreviated version of an American amusement park.— John P. Sisk
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game