a crashing haltnoun
Definition of a crashing halt
: a complete and sudden end When news of the scandal broke, her career came to a crashing halt. Construction of the tunnel was brought to a crashing halt when the funds ran out.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game