Wur·ster's salt | \ ˈwər|stərz-, ˈwu̇(r)|, ˈvu̇r|\
Definition of Wurster's salt
: any of several deeply colored semiquinones formed by partial oxidation (as with bromine) of the conjugate acid of para-phenylenediamine or its N-alkyl derivatives: such as
a or Wurster's red or Wurster's red salt : a red product made from N,N-dimethyl-para-phenylenediamine
b or Wurster's blue or Wurster's blue salt : a blue product made from tetramethyl-para-phenylenediamine
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?