variants: or Sampson's snakeroot or less commonly Samson snakeroot
Definition of Sampson snakeroot
1 : an aromatic herb (Psoralea psoralioides) of the southeastern U.S. with a root having tonic properties
— called also babroot, Congo root
2 : any of several American gentians of the genus Dasystephana
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game