Sal·ta·to·ria | \ ˌsaltəˈtōrēə, ˌsȯl-\
Definition of Saltatoria
: a suborder of Orthoptera that is often considered a separate order, comprises insects with the hind legs usually adapted for leaping, and includes the grasshoppers, crickets, and related forms — compare cursoria
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game