variants: or less commonly Republicrat \ rə̇ˈpəbləˌkrat , -rēˈp- \
Definition of Republocrat
: a member of the Democratic party especially in the southern states who supports to a large extent the policy and measures of the Republican party if the Democratic convention appeases the Southern Republocrats— Bruce Bliven, born 1889 — compare dixiecrat
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game