Bir·nirk | \ (ˈ)bir¦ni(ə)rk\
Definition of Birnirk
: of or belonging to an Eskimo culture centered around Point Barrow in northeastern Alaska, intermediate between Old Bering Sea and Thule, dated about a.d. 600–1000, and characterized by toggle harpoon heads and elements suggesting Asian derivation
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game