variants: or less commonly bible-basher
plural Bible-bashers also bible-bashers
Definition of Bible-basher
chiefly British, informal
: bible-thumper The old-style Bible-bashers were street-corner evangelists who bawled all Hell out of luckless sinners for the greater glory of the Lord.— Douglas Fairey, Weekend, 7–13 Feb. 1968 … the activities of opium-smugglers and bible-bashers in the early nineteenth century provide some wryly amusing material of which the author makes the most. — Times Literary Supplement, 26 Jan. 1967
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?