variants: or less commonly Bernoulli equation
Definition of Bernoulli's equation
1 [ after Jacques Bernoulli †1705 Swiss mathematician ] : a nonlinear differential equation of the first order that has the general form dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x)yn and that can be put in linear form by dividing through by yn and making the change of variable Y = y−n+1
2 [ after Daniel Bernoulli †1782 Swiss mathematician and scientist ] : an equation used in fluid mechanics that relates pressure, velocity, density, and gravitational acceleration — compare bernoulli effect , bernoulli's theorem
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?