Definition of Asian clam
: a small, freshwater, bivalve mollusk (Corbicula fluminea) that has a yellowish to brown shell with concentric rows of raised ridges and is chiefly of Asian origin and has been widely introduced especially into U.S. waters Non-native Asian clams are spreading rapidly across parts of Lake Tahoe, often accompanied by stringy mats of bright green algae, and posing a new threat to the world-renowned mountain lake.— Tom Knudson, Sacramento Bee, 19 Aug. 2009 When jostled by turbulent water, an Asian clam “lifts off” the floor with its foot and releases a transparent mucous film that can catch the current like a sail. — Science, December 1984
Note: The Asian clam is often considered an invasive species in the U.S. where it is known to clog water intake pipes and compete with native species for food.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game