Definition of Alsatian
(Entry 1 of 2)
: relating to, situated in, inhabiting, or coming from Alsace Alsatian wines Working out of a cramped second-floor kitchen, Jung has inspired the young new chefs to reinterpret the classics of Alsatian cuisine.— S. Irene Virbilia
Definition of Alsatian (Entry 2 of 2)
1 British : german shepherd Jean Muir has no fewer than three dogs … one is a pointer, one is a Labrador … and the third is an Alsatian, a guard dog.— Michael Musto … it looked like an Alsatian, though it was far too big to be a dog. Then he realised that it was a wolf …— C. S. Lewis
2 : a native or inhabitant of Alsace The transition from French to German rule in Alsace was extremely difficult for many of its inhabitants. … Indeed, an impressive number of Alsatians emigrated rather than accept the new regime.— Gerard J. Brault
3 : a wine made in Alsace And the range of wines produced by the riesling grape? They spread across the spectrum, from desert-dry Alsatians to syrupy ice wines from Washington and New York State …— Chuck Sudo
4 : a dialect of German spoken in Alsace Most of the passengers on our cruise lived near Strasbourg, the home base of the cruise line. They spoke French, German, or Alsatian, a regional dialect.— Gail Russell Chaddock
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game