no·tion noun \ˈnō-shən\
: an idea or opinion
: an idea about doing something : a sudden wish or desire
notions : small useful things (such as pins, thread, buttons) that are used for sewing
a (1) : an individual's conception or impression of something known, experienced, or imagined (2) : an inclusive general concept (3) : a theory or belief held by a person or group
b : a personal inclination : whim
Examples of NOTION
- He has some pretty strange notions.
- She had a vague notion about what happened.
- The study disproves any notion that dolphins are not intelligent.
- She had a notion to try skydiving.
- a sewing shop that sells fabrics, books, tools, and notions
Origin of NOTION
Latin notion-, notio,
First Known Use: 1537
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up notion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).