present tense third-person singular of portend
Synonyms & Antonyms of portends
See the Dictionary Definition
formal + literary to be a sign or warning that something usually bad or unpleasant is going to happen
- The distant thunder portended a storm.
- If you're superstitious, a black cat portends trouble.
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for portends
Antonyms & Near Antonyms for portends
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Words of Snow and Ice Quiz Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Toys and Games Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game