Medical Definition of varenicline
: a drug taken orally in the form of its tartrate C13H13N3·C4H6O6 as an aid to stop smoking
Note: Varenicline binds to nicotinic cell receptors to block the activity of nicotine while also acting as an agonist to reduce nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Varenicline is marketed under the trademark Chantix.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game