glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptidenoun
variants: also glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide
Medical Definition of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide
: gastric inhibitory polypeptide The incretins (i.e., glucagon-like peptide 1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide) are intestinal hormones that stimulate the postprandial production of insulin and glucagon by the pancreas.— Amy G. Egan et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 27 Feb. 2014 —abbreviation GIP
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game