glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptidenoun
variants: also glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide
Medical Definition of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide
: gastric inhibitory polypeptide The incretins (i.e., glucagon-like peptide 1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide) are intestinal hormones that stimulate the postprandial production of insulin and glucagon by the pancreas.— Amy G. Egan et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 27 Feb. 2014 —abbreviation GIP
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game