Medical Definition of incretin
: any of various gastrointestinal hormones that stimulate the secretion of insulin by the pancreas The actions of incretins depend on glucose concentration, and their function ceases when serum glucose level is less than 55 mg/dL …— Renee E. Amori et al., The Journal of the American Medical Association, 11 July 2007 … ingested nutrients stimulate the release of gut peptides called incretins, which enhance secretion of the hormone insulin, the main controller of blood glucose levels.— Joshua P. Thaler and David E. Cummings, Nature, 24 Apr. 2008
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game