gastric inhibitory polypeptidenoun
variants: also gastric inhibitory peptide
Medical Definition of gastric inhibitory polypeptide
: an intestinal polypeptide hormone that stimulates insulin secretion by the pancreas in response to the presence of glucose in the gut especially following meal ingestion … mice without receptors for the incretins, glucagon-like peptide 1, and gastric inhibitory polypeptide show impaired insulin secretion and abnormal glucose tolerance without insulin resistance.— Hanna Huopio et al., The Lancet, 25 Jan. 2003 —abbreviation GIP
— called also glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game