variants: also cilastatin sodium
Medical Definition of cilastatin
: a drug C16H25N2O5SNa that is administered intravenously in combination with the antibiotic imipenem in order to increase its effectiveness by inhibiting enzymatic breakdown in the kidney Five days before admission, the patient was evaluated by an infectious-disease specialist and readmitted to the other hospital for intravenous administration of a three-day course of imipenem–cilastatin …— Stephen I. Pelton et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 31 Aug. 2006 Inclusion of cilastatin makes it possible to use imipenem against urinary tract infections. — Chemical & Engineering News, 16 Dec. 1985
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game