Medical Definition of autophagosome
: a double membrane-bound vesicle that encloses cellular constituents and fuses with lysosomes which digest these cellular constituents during autophagy The autophagosome does not bud off from preexisting organelles but, rather, is formed by a dynamic process of membrane expansion.— Daniel J. Klionsky, The New England Journal of Medicine, 23 Apr. 2009 During autophagy, a portion of cytoplasm is sequestered into an autophagosome: this then fuses with the lysosome, and the cytoplasm-derived materials are degraded.— Satoshi Tsukamoto et al., Science, 4 July 2008
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game