variants: also anti-motility
Medical Definition of antimotility
: inhibiting or slowing gastrointestinal motility The caplets … contain an antimotility agent that relieves the symptoms of diarrhea by slowing intestinal movement.— James T. Yenckel, The Washington Post, 19 Aug. 1990 Drugs to improve symptoms, particularly antimotility drugs such as loperamide and diphenoxylate hydrochloride, can reduce the number of stools passed and may be useful in controlling the stool rate with watery diarrhea.— Herbert L. DuPont, The New England Journal of Medicine, 15 Oct. 2009
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game