Medical Definition of acardiac
: lacking a heart A normal (pump) twin provides circulation for itself and for an abnormally developing acardiac (perfused) twin. The acardiac twin is not connected to the placenta but, rather, directly to the umbilical cord of the pump twin. — P. Malladi et al., in Pediatric Surgery and Urology: Long Term Outcomes, 2006 also : marked by the presence of an acardiac fetus Acardiac pregnancies are extraordinarily rare; nationwide they occur in one out of every 35,000 pregnancies … — Betsy Querna, The Herald News (Passaic County, New Jersey), 11 Sept. 2007
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game