Medical Definition of acardius
: one of a pair of twin fetuses that develops without a heart and receives its blood supply from its twin through vascular connections on the placenta … due to the parasitic relationship of the acardius, there is a high risk of mortality (50-75%) in the donor twin …— Ona Marie Faye-Peterson et al., Handbook of Placental Pathology, 2006
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game