Legal Definition of formal rulemaking
: rulemaking by a government agency that is on the record after an opportunity for an agency hearing in accordance with the formal procedures set forth in sections 556 and 557 of the Administrative Procedure Act — compare informal rulemaking
Note: Formal rulemaking is usually only done where specifically required by the legislation mandating the agency action.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game