Legal Definition of former adjudication
: a procedural doctrine that bars relitigation by the same parties of the same issues or claims upon which a judgment has already been rendered
Note: Estoppel by judgment and res judicata are the two branches of former adjudication, although res judicata is often used broadly to mean former adjudication.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?