zero outphrasal verb
zeroed out; zeroing out; zeroes out
Definition of zero out
1 : to reduce the amount of (something) to zero Be sure to zero out the account before you switch banks.
2 : to remove (something) completely This program will be zeroed out in the budget for next year. New legislation will zero out further funding for the project.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game