wipe the slate cleanidiom
Definition of wipe the slate clean
: to forget all the things that have happened or been done and start doing something again : to start again from the very beginning She wishes she could wipe the slate clean and start over in a different career.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game