wipe (something) cleanidiom
Definition of wipe (something) clean
1 : to clean (something) by wiping I wiped the table clean.
2 : to completely remove something from (something) : to remove everything from (something) —usually used as (be) wiped clean After the accident, his memory of the day was wiped clean.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game