Definition of water wing
1 water wings plural : a pneumatic device to give support to the body of a person swimming or learning to swim disgusted Londoners discovered that their car was as useful to them as water-wings in a desert— Mollie Panter-Downes
2 : a wall forming a wing to the abutment of a bridge or pier and extending laterally along the shore on either side as a protection from the current
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game