Examples of wary in a Sentence
- Great critics are sometimes wary of great authors. Eliot and Pound usually sidled past Shakespeare. —William Logan, New York Times Book Review, 11 Feb. 2001
- Though sycamore wood was much used, pioneers were wary of the tree's fuzzy leaves, which they believed brought allergies and even consumption. —Arthur Plotnik, The Urban Tree Book: An Uncommon Field Guide for City and Town, 2000
- Modern literary novelists … wary of neat solutions and happy endings, have tended to invest their mysteries with an aura of ambiguity and to leave them unresolved. —David Lodge, The Art of Fiction, 1992
The store owner kept a wary eye on him.
Investors are increasingly wary about putting money into stocks.
Recent Examples of wary from the Web
Outside of the passing game, Winston has reinforced another area of his game that the Saints defense must be wary of.
Be wary of organizations accepting unskilled volunteers to work closely with children.
More:Kohl's, Toys R Us to stay open around the clock until Christmas More:Be wary of gift cards from retailers in or nearing bankruptcy More:Holiday bonus!
Detection and Removal Computer users hoping to avoid these cryptocurrency mining tools should be wary of streaming sites and pay attention to unusual CPU behavior, Ms. Horowitz said.
There is something to be said for it, and there is something to be wary of in it, as well.
Some organizations are wary of them, because there is no firm requirement for the funds to actually pay out the money within a certain period.
But many are wary of her argument, which leaves out the benefits of living in a connected world — especially for those desperately in need of connection.
But Carter and his people were wary of the Brookings types as well.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'wary.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsalert, cautious, chary, circumspect, conservative, considerate, gingerly, guarded, heedful, safe, careful
Antonymscareless, heedless, incautious, unguarded, unmindful, unsafe, unwary
Related Wordsadvertent, attentive, awake, observant, regardful, vigilant, watchful; hypercautious; foresighted, foresightful, forethoughtful, provident, thoughtful; cagey (also cagy), calculating, canny, shrewd; deliberate, slow; ultracareful, ultracautious
Near Antonymsbold, brash, impetuous, rash, reckless, venturesome; asleep, inattentive, regardless; inconsiderate, thoughtless; lax, neglectful, negligent, remiss; imprudent, indiscreet, injudicious; absentminded, forgetful; inadvertent, unintentional, unplanned
Synonym Discussion of wary
- a cautious driver
- circumspect in his business dealings
- keeps a wary eye on the competition
- chary of signing papers without having read them first
WARY Defined for English Language Learners
WARY Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up wary? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).