Examples of wary in a Sentence
- Great critics are sometimes wary of great authors. Eliot and Pound usually sidled past Shakespeare. —William Logan, New York Times Book Review, 11 Feb. 2001
- Though sycamore wood was much used, pioneers were wary of the tree's fuzzy leaves, which they believed brought allergies and even consumption. —Arthur Plotnik, The Urban Tree Book: An Uncommon Field Guide for City and Town, 2000
- Modern literary novelists … wary of neat solutions and happy endings, have tended to invest their mysteries with an aura of ambiguity and to leave them unresolved. —David Lodge, The Art of Fiction, 1992
The store owner kept a wary eye on him.
Investors are increasingly wary about putting money into stocks.
Recent Examples of wary from the Web
But research has shown millennials tend to be wary of the stock market.
As The Washington Post noted, conservative leaders are wary of breaking with the president over an arrangement generally favored by the mainstream of the party.
In fact, Apple would be wise to be wary of selling too many at the moment.
Mosquito-wary guests can close up the shutters and use the AC—but at the expense of missing the sweet night air.
Likewise, an atmosphere in which senior men are wary of mentoring young women for fear of being misunderstood hurts women’s careers.
Executives who are shopping a player are immediately met with a wary eye.
The last of these was particularly significant, since Trump has always been wary of intervention against the Assad regime.
Questions abounded, and several cast some wary eyes skyward when Reta White, an Exelon civil engineer, who was one of the tour guides, explained the floor of Turbine Hall is 46 feet below the surface of the river being held back by the dam.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'wary.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsalert, cautious, chary, circumspect, conservative, considerate, gingerly, guarded, heedful, safe, careful
Antonymscareless, heedless, incautious, unguarded, unmindful, unsafe, unwary
Related Wordsadvertent, attentive, awake, observant, regardful, vigilant, watchful; hypercautious; foresighted, foresightful, forethoughtful, provident, thoughtful; cagey (also cagy), calculating, canny, shrewd; deliberate, slow; ultracareful, ultracautious
Near Antonymsbold, brash, impetuous, rash, reckless, venturesome; asleep, inattentive, regardless; inconsiderate, thoughtless; lax, neglectful, negligent, remiss; imprudent, indiscreet, injudicious; absentminded, forgetful; inadvertent, unintentional, unplanned
Synonym Discussion of wary
- a cautious driver
- circumspect in his business dealings
- keeps a wary eye on the competition
- chary of signing papers without having read them first
WARY Defined for English Language Learners
WARY Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up wary? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).