variants: or verneuil method \ (ˈ)ver¦nər- , -nə̄ē , F vernœœy \
Definition of verneuil process
: a procedure for growing large crystals (as of sapphire, ruby, spinel, or rutile) by adding the powdered material to the top of a rod the end of which is maintained at or close to the melting point by a flame directed vertically downward upon it
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?