Definition of varietal
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of varietal (Entry 2 of 2)
1 or varietal wine : a wine (such as merlot) bearing the name of the principal grape variety from which it is produced Brothers Ross and Bill Spence established Matua in 1973 and were the first to bottle Sauvignon Blanc in New Zealand. Today, the winery produces a range of varietals at varying price points.— Alison Napjus Zinfandel works as a stand-alone, 100-percent varietal wine and also lends itself to blending.— James Laube
2 : a grape variety that is used to produce a varietal wine The grape, which produces lush fruit flavors of boysenberry and blackberry, along with vibrant acidity, it is without question Argentina's lead varietal.— James Molesworth
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game