Examples of urban sprawl in a Sentence
efforts to stop urban sprawl
Recent Examples of urban sprawl from the Web
Satellite images track the changing human footprint across the globe, including rapidly growing cities, urban sprawl and informal settlements.
Separated from the urban sprawl of Jacksonville — Florida’s largest city in area and population — by a marshy back country alive with spirited wildlife, these islands, waterways, coastal forests and beaches defy the presence of a city.
There were seven cougar attacks in the 1990s because of urban sprawl into the foothills, Myers said.
While city leaders including Mayor Dave Bieter support increasing housing density to guard against urban sprawl and provide more housing, some multifamily-unit projects lately have drawn neighborhood opposition.
And national parks weren’t especially welcoming, either; many were created as an escape from urban sprawl, at a time when urban was shorthand for blacks and immigrants.
And to meet California’s ambitious climate change goals, state regulators have determined new growth needs to be concentrated near existing jobs and transit rather than urban sprawl.
In this rugged region, framed by the Sierra de Gredos mountain range, winemakers Daniel Landi and Fernando Garcia have their hands in several projects, including an effort to save vineyards threatened by urban sprawl.
National wildlife preserves and state parks comprise just 5 percent of the land in the Rio Grande Valley; the other 95 percent are agricultural fields and urban sprawl in one of the fastest-growing regions of the country.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'urban sprawl.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
URBAN SPRAWL Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of urban sprawl for English Language Learners
: a situation in which large stores, groups of houses, etc., are built in an area around a city that formerly had few people living in it
Learn More about urban sprawl
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up urban sprawl? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).