Definition of up for
1 informal : wanting to have or do (something) I'm up for some Chinese food. Are you up for watching a movie? We're going out dancing tonight. Are you up for it?
2 —used to say that someone or something is or will be involved in a particular process and especially one that leads to a decision His proposal is up for consideration.She is up for reelection next year.
3 —used to say that something is available to be bought Our house is up for sale.items that are up for auction
4 : appearing in a court of law because of being accused of (a crime) He was up for armed robbery.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game