Definition of under pressure
1 : tightly pressed into a container The contents of the bottle are under pressure.
2 : in a state of stress or anxiety because of having too much to do They both work well under pressure.
3 : being made to feel forced to do something (as by arguments, threats, etc.) The mayor is under pressure to resign.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game