Definition of uncowed
: showing courage or boldness : not fearful or repressed He admires the Virgin's combination of uncowed curiosity and openness to God's will when Gabriel calls.— David Van Biema, Time, 21 Mar. 2005 It was … a defining statement for the Maryland program, saying to the world, We're young, confident and uncowed.— Kelli Anderson, Sports Illustrated, 20 Nov. 2006
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game