toss outphrasal verb
tossed out; tossing out; tosses out
Definition of toss out
1 : to put (something that is no longer useful or wanted) in a trash can, garbage can, etc. : to throw (something) out It's time to toss out those bananas. Did you toss the newspapers out already?
2 : to refuse to accept or consider (something) His testimony was tossed out by the judge.
3 : to mention (something) as a possible thing to be done, thought about, etc. : to suggest She tossed out a couple of ideas for improving the company's website.
4 : to force (someone) to leave a place They tossed him out of the bar after he started a fight.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game