toss offphrasal verb
tossed off; tossing off; tosses off
Definition of toss off
1 informal : to produce (something) quickly and without much effort He tossed off a few lines of poetry.
2 informal : to drink (something) quickly He tossed off a shot of whiskey.
3 British, informal + impolite : to touch or rub one's own sexual organs for sexual pleasure : to masturbate
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game