too close for comfortidiom
variants: or less commonly too near for comfort
Definition of too close for comfort
: close enough to make a person feel nervous, worried, or upset That bus came a little too close for comfort! When we went out for drinks together, I realized we were getting too close for comfort.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?