too clever by halfidiom
Definition of too clever by half
chiefly British, informal
: clever in a way that is annoying or that causes problems an arrogant politician who is too clever by half a complex computer program that is too clever by half
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?