to the mercy ofidiom
Definition of to the mercy of
: without any protection from (someone or something one cannot control) He had to leave his boat to the mercy of the storm.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game