plural timing belts
Definition of timing belt
: a belt that connects the camshaft and the crankshaft in a vehicle engine (as in an automobile) and coordinates the opening and closing of the engine's valves Honda recommends that the timing belt be replaced at 105,000 miles.— John Paul The timing belt is a lot smaller and cheaper than a transmission or an engine, but it is an essential car part nonetheless.— Melissa Thompson — compare timing chain
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game