plural timing chains
Definition of timing chain
: a chain that connects the camshaft and the crankshaft in a vehicle engine (such as in an automobile) and coordinates the opening and closing of the engine's valves Much older vehicles will have a timing chain instead of a timing belt… . Timing chains have a much longer lifespan and generally do not need to be replaced.— Melissa Thompson … a timing chain is that part of a vehicle's internal combustion engine that drives the cams and operates the valves that feed fuel into the combustion chambers and extracts spent gases from them.— Joey Bernardez — compare timing belt
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game