tighten the nooseidiom
Definition of tighten the noose
: to make a situation more difficult for someone The new tougher penalties will tighten the noose on traffic offenders. They tightened the noose around the enemy by cutting the supply lines.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game