throw (someone) for a loopidiom
Definition of throw (someone) for a loop
: to cause (someone) to be very amazed, confused, or shocked The news of her death really threw me for a loop. His parents were thrown for a loop when he quit college.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game