the powers that beidiom
Definition of the powers that be
: the people who decide what is allowed or acceptable in a group, organization, etc. The students wanted to have a big party, but the powers that be didn't approve.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game