Definition of the opposition
: a person or group that someone is trying to defeat or succeed against : a person or group that someone is competing with The coach advised her team not to underestimate the opposition.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game