the mainsplural noun
Definition of the mains
: the system of pipes or wires for electricity, gas, or water My radio runs either off batteries or off the mains. —often used as mains before another noun We haven't had any mains water/electricity since the storm.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?